Letters of Invitation
How to request a letter of invitation
Letter of invitation requests are made using the conference registration system.
To request a letter of invitation you must register for the conference.
The letter of invitation will be issued to your email address after you have completed your registration and on receipt of your payment.
Tips for a successful letter request:
- You can only submit your request once. Multiple submissions are not accepted by the system
- Please select “I would like to request visa invitation” on the Visa Letter section of the registration process
- All starred* information is required.
- Respect the format of the request form.
- Information should be entered as it is shown on your passport.
- Capital letters should only be used for initial characters. Please do not use all capital letters when filling in the form.
- Double check all the information you enter carefully. It will appear as entered, including obvious errors.
Further notes of importance:
- Your letter of invitation can only cover the official dates of the conference. Any travel requirements outside of the conference dates must be explained to the embassy in your visa application.
Who should request a letter?
Conference delegates: The conference is open to all delegates directly or indirectly involved in activities related to tobacco control and public health, lung health (asthma, paediatric pneumonia, COPD, etc.) industry and agriculture, in general.
The WCTOH Secretariat reserves the right to reject requests for letters of invitation that are not related to the conference.
Contributors to the scientific programme: If you will be contributing to the conference programme as a chair, speaker, coordinator or abstract author, you may request that the session you are involved with be mentioned in your letter of invitation. Please enter the session's full reference (the session name and number specified in the information provided to you) in the comments section of your submission form.
Accompanying persons: All accompanying persons must submit separate requests for letters of invitation through our system following the instructions above.
Applying for another person: You may apply for a letter of invitation on behalf of another person. However, you will need to ensure that you have all the applicant’s details (name, address, DOB, passport details, etc) in order to submit the online request.
Languages: Letters are available in English.
Processing time and delivery
Online: Letters of invitation can be requested online using the registration platform
Online letters of invitation will be only sent to delegates upon receipt of payment for registration.
- The deadline for submitting a request for a letter of invitation is 01 February 2018
- No letter will be processed after this date.
- Submit your request early to better plan your conference attendance.
Applying for your visa
Once you have your letter of invitation, you need to apply for your visa. Delegates are responsible for making their own arrangements for getting a visa and are urged to contact their nearest South Africa embassy or consulate as early as possible to determine where they should apply and to enquire on the length of time expected to complete the visa process.
To find out which embassy or consulate is closest to you please visit the South African government website: